Bathroom Etiquette

Frequently asked questions about the running of the Forum. How-to use various features of the Forum.
Kate
Granduchess
Granduchess

Bathroom Etiquette

Postby Kate » June 2nd, 2016, 1:25 pm

There has been a little bit of public debate and nonsense going on around the whole "bathroom issue" of late. Whilst the law is clear in Australia, you use the bathroom that is appropriate for the gender you are presenting as, there are a couple of salient points and important things to make sure that as a community people have no ammunition against us.

In particular here are a few DON'Ts about using the ladies restroom:

1. DON'T stand up to go to the toilet. That is just crass and whilst theoretically none should be able to see you in the cubicle you are presenting as a woman, behave like one.

2. DON'T take selfies in the bathroom. Not in the cubicle, not at the washstand, not anywhere. Period. Going to the toilet is not an "experience" it is an essential bodily function. This one applies to anyone of any gender in any public bathroom.

3. DON'T fluff around putting a whole new round of makeup on your face. If you need to touch up your lipstick thats fine but a public bathroom is not the place to do a full makeover of your eye makeup. Get in there, do your business and get out.

4. DON'T start talking to another woman unsolicited. We do not go into the bathroom to start new friendships and nine times out of ten someone talking to us in the bathroom just delays us from getting back to what we were doing before we had to go to the bathroom.

5. NEVER touch anyone in the bathroom, not on the arm or hand or brushing past them on the way out of the door. Not only is it gross, it is unhygienic. Watch women, they give each other much more personal space going to the toilet than men.

Remember it is a toilet, do what you need to do and leave. We are very lucky in Australia that we have very accepting public laws but if we are not careful the far right loonies will use the above indiscretions to take away those rights.

Kate
Christine Parker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Bathroom Etiquette

Postby Christine Parker » June 3rd, 2016, 9:41 pm

Kate wrote:1. DON'T stand up to go to the toilet. That is just crass and whilst theoretically none should be able to see you in the cubicle you are presenting as a woman, behave like one.

I agree and have never done that.

Kate wrote:2. DON'T take selfies in the bathroom. Not in the cubicle, not at the washstand, not anywhere. Period. Going to the toilet is not an "experience" it is an essential bodily function. This one applies to anyone of any gender in any public bathroom.
I have been guilty of that and my wife shares your opinion very strongly. I have stopped that habit.

Kate wrote:3. DON'T fluff around putting a whole new round of makeup on your face. If you need to touch up your lipstick thats fine but a public bathroom is not the place to do a full makeover of your eye makeup. Get in there, do your business and get out.
I agree. All I do is tidy my hair.

Kate wrote:4. DON'T start talking to another woman unsolicited. We do not go into the bathroom to start new friendships and nine times out of ten someone talking to us in the bathroom just delays us from getting back to what we were doing before we had to go to the bathroom.
Also the voice is a give away.

Kate wrote:5. NEVER touch anyone in the bathroom, not on the arm or hand or brushing past them on the way out of the door. Not only is it gross, it is unhygienic. Watch women, they give each other much more personal space going to the toilet than men.
I agree with all of that.

Kate wrote:Remember it is a toilet, do what you need to do and leave. We are very lucky in Australia that we have very accepting public laws but if we are not careful the far right loonies will use the above indiscretions to take away those rights.

Kate
Good post, Kate, thank you.
Christine Parker
Seahorse Webmistress and Forum Administrator.
http://www.seahorsesoc.org/christine.html

Return to “FAQ Forum”